A solar thermal systems main purpose is to use the suns energy to heat water. This water can be used to heat the hot water you use in your home, for radiant floor heating or to heat your swimming pool.
- Make an energy return on investment (ROI) in your home or business over the years to come
- Reduce your dependency on utility companies
- Reduce the financial impact of future utility rate increases
- Become “Greener” and reduce your carbon footprint through a renewable resource.
- Take advantage of the 30% Federal “Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit” on an operational solar production system before December 31, 2018.
- More than that solar thermal saves you money. Per the Department of Energy’s website:
“On average, if you install a solar water heater, your water heating bills should drop 50%–80%. Also, because the sun is free, you’re protected from future fuel shortages and price hikes.
If you’re building a new home or refinancing, the economics are even more attractive. Including the price of a solar water heater in a new 30-year mortgage usually amounts to between $13 and $20 per month. The federal income tax deduction for mortgage interest attributable to the solar system reduces that by about $3–$5 per month. So if your fuel savings are more than $15 per month, the solar investment is profitable immediately. On a monthly basis, you’re saving more than you’re paying.”